I know y'all love my "what I learned" posts :) Ha ha. Today is my birthday. A couple of posts ago, we learned about my love for all things birthday and how I feel about them. Of course, nothing has changed - and my day was nothing short of perfect. I had a nice run this morning (part of it through a cemetery - it reminds me that I'm alive - although, I get nervous that I'll have my ipod on too loud and the rapture might occur and I wouldn't hear the trumpet sound and the dead people will start rising up and terrify me), then a great day of worship with my church peeps, lunch at pf changs, shopping at Gap (with a gift card, no doubt!), a ride on the carousel for my little love, a stop off at Krispy Kreme, an afternoon nap, and a pumpkin carving. Oh...and a brand new TV for my bedroom and a gift card for a massage. Pretty awesome day. Loved spending time with my little and big loves.
Here's what I learned today: and the lesson came from none other than Facebook - aka the "mecca of all information". This morning, I checked my facebook while I was drying my hair, just to pass some time. I had a couple of "happy birthday" messages. Made me smile. I went to church and didn't check it for several hours...but, when I got time to sit down and check again - I couldn't believe how many messages that I had - 125 to be exact - and the night's not over yet! Overwhelming. In a good way. I read every single one of them. What God showed me through this was a lesson that has taken a long time to learn. He puts people in your life for different seasons, different reasons, some you teach, some you learn from, some lift you up, unfortunately - some bring you down, some you will stay lifelong close friends with, others just acquaintances, some you will be close with for a time and then on to other things. The bottom line is, your heart is stitched full of memories and sometimes even dramatically changed because of each and every person with whom you come into contact. As I scrolled through my messages, there were some from my "first" friends (like pre-school people), from elementary school friends, high school friends, hilarious memories brought up of kicking it at the mall in our cheerleading jackets, college friends, sorority sisters, graduate school friends, friends from my first "real" job, family, friends that I met when I worked real estate, nursing school friends, church friends - from my hometown and now, friends with whom I work. Some of these people know a lot about me intimately, others just know my face or my smile. This brings things full circle in my mind. I often wonder why I didn't choose nursing when I was at UA. Sure would've made life a lot easier for me. But, I would have missed out on a lot of these people...these memories...these relationships. For some reason, God didn't want me to fast track to my career path. He wanted me to go around a different way. Now that I have surrendered my life to Him and what He wants, He has allowed me to see this in such a different light. I don't regret any of it...because it helps to define me.
Each message made me think of each person individually. If you're reading this and you sent me a message, or a text, or called me...Thank you. I really took it to heart and realized how many people care about me and my family. It's a beautiful realization and a beautiful blessing. It is my hope and my prayer that I have touched each of your lives in some way - hopefully for the good :) This is why God teaches us that we are to be salt and light....we are making tiny differences in the lives of others! Bet that some of y'all didn't realize that when you typed "happy birthday, Amy" that you really boosted my day!!
From the bottom of my 33 year old heart - Thanks be to God for another birthday and for each and every person in my life now and that has been a part at some point!! :) <3
.....and Roll Tide!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment