So. It's a new year. Yes. It is. Time for the never been to the gym crowd to bust out their new kicks and over-run the fitness centers and for Subway to be crowded while Krispy Kreme is empty. Aah. I kinda got a small chuckle on my run this afternoon. It felt amazing outside and I (my cold natured self) ran in a t-shirt and shorts while I passed the new fitness peeps wearing sweatpants, long sleeve shirts with sweatshirts, ear warmers and gloves. Chuckle, chuckle.
I asked my husband this afternoon over lunch what his New Year's resolution was, and he replied, "I think that they are dumb and I'm not making any". He said that he would rather have "New Day" resolutions where he wakes up every morning and tries to aspire to whatever it is he wants to be/change/do. I like it. Smaller goals seem more manageable and less stressful. Less room for failure.
We went to church this morning....great way to start off the New Year! Our small group lesson was on anxiety and dealing with worry about the past, present, and future. Those who know me well know that I'm a dweller and a bad scenario creator extraordinaire. It was really a great reminder of not being able to change any of it anyway, so you should just have faith and live it out. Secondly, we roll up into church and Pastor Paul put it down so good that I took notes and have thought about the message a million times today alone. Without ripping off his sermon, the bottom line was to not look back. Don't look back because those sins have already been forgiven, don't let what "shoulda/coulda/woulda been" get you down, don't pretend like the past was awesome...it wasn't as awesome as you remember it to be, don't look back at people who have hurt you and let them rule you today, and don't look back at what you've done "right" already and think that you have a right now. The big statement that he made that I thought was so amazing was that 'no matter what a man's past has been, his future is spotless'. Straight up. That's good stuff.
On the last day of 2011, I was dwelling (imagine that!) on something negative that someone said about me. As I was dwelling, my friend Chrissy looked me in the eye and said something so simple, but so profound. She said, "well, just change it". Woah. I'd never thought about that. The words had already been said. The past had been done....but the future is spotless. Just change it. I tell you guys all this to say that I'm not making a New Year's resolution. I am following the advice of my husband and making New Day resolutions. I can't make ANY of these come true or meet any of my goals...but, my God can. So, I will through Him. I'm going to love more, love more freely, write more notes instead of emails, speak up more, and listen more. Ignore haters. Don't drink haterade for others. And finally....this: I read this blog and began to cry silently. The whole blog is really good. It's not a Christian blog per-se, but she has a lot of good, good points. This sums up some of the things that I'd like to see change in 2012. Check it: http://www.handsfreemama.com/?p=2792
It's called "An Open Letter to Time".
Happy Happy New Year!!! Love much and Serve others. What a good theme for the year!!!
I promise I'll be back to funny soon....I've been waxing philosophical lately :) <3
No comments:
Post a Comment