6.10.2010

The Case for Waffle House

Warning in advance, this may seem pretty pathetic, but it's our life & we live it ;)

So, every other week, Jimmy's Mom picks W up after work & takes her home with her & she spends the night & spends the next day hanging out with her. On those nights, Jimmy & I have "date night". It's usually very low key, especially if I have to work the next day, and we've developed a bit of a routine. He enjoys taking me out to dinner, you know, so we can talk & enjoy the company of one another. Our typical stop is at the local Waffle House. For those who know, it's not the nice one in Jones Valley - that's waaaay too hoity toity - we go to the one on the corner of Airport & the Parkway. We get to use $1 to play the jukebox. $1 gets you 6 songs, which I think is a bargain and a half in these days of inflation. We take turns picking the songs, but it usually is a compilation of Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Waylon Jennings and Kid Rock - although I did play some vintage Matchbox 20...you know, back when they used the number 20 instead of writing the word 'twenty'. I noted tonight that I made some guys smile when "Luckenbach Texas" came on the jukebox. One dude was leaning back against the side of the booth just a singin'. I love to make people smile :)

Point to the story...as we get in the car to pull away from the Waffle House & go to the Mall to buy Jimmy some vitamins at GNC (does this really match?...health store & Waffle House), Jimmy states that Waffle House is the best restaurant ever. He proceeds to lay out the case for the Waffle House. You can ponder upon it & come up with the verdict on your own, but I do believe that he makes a very convincing argument.

(a) You walk straight into the place, you are directly seated & greeted face to face by a person who typically doesn't judge you by what you are wearing or what you have driven up to the place driving.
(b) The menu never changes, so it's not confusing
(c) You are waited on quickly & receive your drink at almost lightning speed
(d) There is a jukebox present, so you get to choose the music to which you dine.
(e) The food is decent & the cook always comes to ask if you are enjoying the food. He seems genuinely concerned with if your patty melt was well done with onions present & accounted for. It matters to him if your scrambled eggs were properly fluffy like the wool of a lamb.
(f) It's quiet in the place. You can have an intimate conversation with your significant other without having to scream and compete for sound space with tons of other people.
(g) You can get out of there for less than $14 - that includes a tip!

I must admit that I agree with him, just a little...it is a nice, quaint little (redneck) place. The ironic twist to the whole thing is that Jimmy thinks that Waffle House is an awesome place to take his wife, but the reason that we only go alone, on "date night" is because Waffle House just isn't good enough for his little girl! He says it's too nasty there for her...ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment