2.24.2016

Chick Fil A...part 2

Years and years ago, I blogged about an incident at Chick Fil A...well, here I am again. Sigh. Chick Fil A is like the Mommy Mecca of the world at lunchtime....especially on a rainy day. If someone came in selling yoga pants and starbucks, they would make a bazillion dollars from the mommy crowd. We are all there, smiling at the indoor playground, hoping it will offer some reprieve from the wild-as-a-buck toddler who needs to burn that energy off before nap time. So, today, we had a social planned with my Bible Study group at this said Mecca of Mommies, after group was over. 

Rewind to this morning, it's pouring rain. Totally a leggings and rain boots sort of day. I was all about it, cause I heart any occasion to wear my green Hunter boots - I'm slightly obsessed. (Thanks, Mom) I stand in front of the mirror and get dressed and put on a shirt that just barely adheres to the 'don't wear leggings as pants' rule. Check and double check. Can't see anything inappropriate. Totally covered - but don't get wild and move too much, or the rule might bend 😁. 

Bible study was the truth today. Not that it isn't always, but it was extra convicting - which I LOVE! I was in a fab mood. Had an awesome getaway weekend with my husband, my kids have been acting super good, got got some good runs in recently, and I helped a friend deliver her baby yesterday. Stuff like this has me riding high!! 

We roll up in chick Fil a & baby C was acting so darn good. We got seats and our friends came and we all ate without incident. It was so so nice!! Then...baby C wanted to go to the play place. I'm happy as a clam because I just know she has reached the age that she can play to her Itty bitty heart's content & I can hang with my friends and catch up. 

Weeeeell...about that. I'm chatting when one of the girls motions to me that C wants me. I go in there and she's too scared to climb up on a platform. What the mess?!? This is the kid that leaps off the couch like it's her job and jumps from chair to chair so much that I think the 2030 Olympics are gonna call and reserve her a spot in gymnastics. Whaaaa?? She's scared. She's crying!! Well, I try to coach her from the sidelines, but she won't have it, so I have to climb my hunter boots and borderline inappropriate legging/shirt combo up there and help her. It was just one step, right? Crisis averted. 

Ha. Yeah stinking right. So, about 5 minutes pass and I'm socializing it up and then I hear this cry/yell/howl of distress - coming from my baby girl on the next step up. Screaming "mommy! I'm scared! I need you"! I try to comfort her from the ground. But, she is frozen. Like Elsa. Won't move a muscle. No amount of coaxing that I do will work. So, here it goes again - except now, there's a group of middle aged men on lunch break from the Redstone Arsenal- who get a nice chuckle watching my Hunter Boot and borderline inappropriate combo trucking it up the chick Fil a play place at warp speed trying to get my distraught baby girl. I was zooming like "American Ninja Warrior - dress like the quintessential mommy chick and do obstacles" Episode. I saw them laugh, y'all. I saw the Redstone Arsenal engineers laugh. Ugh. I get up to my girl and she's ugly crying. Like, snot bubbles out the nose, crying. I'm trying to get her to "use her words"...& finally it took another kid to decipher for me. My kid was terrified of a BIRD!!!

What. The. Mess?!?! What bird? I ask?  This child escorts (awkwardly, because this is a playplace & I'm an adult) me and my hunter boots & borderline inappropriate shirt over to the window where someone has sat a tiny, plastic, bird on the outside of the play place. It was all I could do to not cry, or laugh, or yell, or some outburst at the ridiculousness of it all. A tiny, plastic, bird. It was about 7 centimeters long (sorry, this is how I measure, I'm not European, I'm a labor and delivery nurse). My bravest chick had made me tote myself up there and be humiliated for a tiny plastic bird. Y'all. Really? I tried to explain it to her in kind words, to reassure her it was fake, to comfort. She was almost out of control in fear. Over a tiny plastic bird. I end up having to rescue her out. Like a fireman in a burning building. I scooped her tail up and hauled her sweet little sobbing, snot bubbling self out.  

What happened next is gonna make it all unbelievable. It was the most toddler moment of all toddler moments! I've rescued her & I'm readjusting my borderline inappropriate outfit and she looks up at me with the most beautiful, cherubic, pink tear stained cheeks, fluffy blonde hair with a flower bow, big pretty eyes, & says "you know, I wasn't scared, Mommy"!

For real though?!?! Ha ha. I might shed a tear of humiliation if it wasn't so darn funny and she wasn't so darn cute...& if the middle aged engineers hadn't lost their interest in the old woman climbing in the playplace and left the premises....and if I didn't love this baby girl so much and would sacrifice anything to save her from any danger - even a ridiculous tiny, plastic bird. 

The mom life. Sigh. Living it daily. Loving it in its own special way. Fist bump to all momma's who have been embarrassed by their kids, or asked to be crammed in a space that they are just too big for - in order to save their kid from danger!! Keep on keepin on, Moms!!! It's a blessed life, for sure!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment