Since my friend Paula suggested a blog on the subject....here it goes. So I HATE when you hear a song, or think about a song that you LOVED back in the day - as an aside, I hate italics, why did I just use it? - and you head on over to itunes to make it part of your collection, only to find that the original singers of the songs have decided they are too good to share with iTunes. So what do you get? A buncha tribute bands. Ugh. Take ole AC/DC. I'm gonna admit to you that I LOVE "Thunderstruck". Okay. You hear me? Love it! I'm gonna take it a full step further and divulge that I listen to it almost EVERY morning leading up to the first Saturday of College Football season. Yeah, I do. It makes me crazy pumped up. About a year ago, I decided it would be perfect for my half-marathon training playlist, so I popped over to itunes to nab it, and there was....teasingly sung by "T.N.T. - AC/DC Tribute", and a band called Thunderstruck, and someone named Birmingham 6. No, no, no, no, no! Blasphemy. I don't want to hear the chords changed up a tad bit so the singer won't get sued. I don't want to hear some fake screaming, I want pure, true reality. I want to hear Angus Young sing it. No one else. Guess you can call me an AC/DC snob.
...or, maybe not. Maybe just an original singer snob in general. I'm kinda mad at Kid Rock - he's another player of the "let's not get on itunes" game. Actually, this was the beginning of the fake singers hatred. I downloaded "All Summer Long" a few years back and realized that it was "A Salute to Kid Rock" singing it. Okay guys, if Metallica can finally come off it, you can too. Seriously. You aren't that awesome. Stereotypically, you all get insanely trashed on a daily basis, write some cool music, do whatever you want, whenever you want, and make more money in a month than I will see in a lifetime. Oh, did I mention that I help bring new life into the world on a daily basis? Where's the love? Anyway....
This said, I do enjoy a nice cover band. They show up without false pretenses. "Hey y'all, we're here to sing other people's crap, and y'all are gonna listen, sing, and dance". Yes. Correct. You are and we are. It's a win-win situation. So, any of y'all sweet peeps who went to UA in the 90s with me, or hung out with me back in the day, don't put me on blast because I was at Indiana Jones everytime the man sang, or Super T, or the Cheesebrokers, 5 o'clock Charlie, etc, etc. I'm admitting freely my love for them. I showed up knowing that I was gonna hear other people's crap, and for that, I was okay....and you were probably with me ;) Ha ha! Good times! :)
Guess until AC/DC decides to come off it, I'll just go on youtube and listen to it on the daily to get me thoroughly pumped up for some football!!! For the record, just listen to "Thunderstruck" - especially the first minute and see if you don't wanna tackle someone, too!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment