3.23.2011

Walk of Shame

:) Ha ha ha. So, for those who don't know...the usual meaning of the walk of shame is when you have shacked up with someone overnight and you must make the walk back to your dorm room, across the Quad, wearing last night's clothing or some mismatched junk from someone else. Okay, so maybe it's not always across the Quad...but, you get my drift. And maybe if you didn't attend UA, then you walked somewhere else - nevertheless, you get it. For the record, I'm not admitting to anything, I'm simply stating the definition ;)

I use the term "walk of shame" differently these days. I use it to refer to someone who rolls up to my work via the ambulance or in a wheelchair actin' a fool only to be discharged home on their own recognizance - ambulatory, no distress noted. You better bet your bottom dollar, that if I roll up in a wheelchair or via ambulance - that I'm gonna be stayin' - possibly in the intensive care unit - cause it's serious stuff. Anyhow, as said patient passes by the nurse's station - I think in my head "emm hmm....walk of shame".

Jimmy and I refer to the "drive of shame" as the time in which he took a leap of faith to become a contract engineer in Atlanta. He worked there for about 2 1/2 months and we were getting married soon, so we looked at apartments and chose one. The day before we were going to sign our 1 year lease, he got laid off. Nice, huh? Praise the Lord that it was the day before we signed! But, here he was - jobless and about to get married. He did say that as he drove back home, he felt like he was having to eat crow and it was the lowest point in his life :( Poor guy. It was so awesome that he stepped out on faith...but when it's not right, it's not right! He was ashamed.

So, today brought a new meaning to "walk of shame". We've got the house thing going on, right? Well, I remember a bright time when we lived in this house and were building next door and we were so pumped up to move our things over and walk our stuff to the new house! When we started realizing that the older house wasn't selling, Jimmy started toying with the idea of selling ours and moving back. I said "no way, never ever, ever, ever, in a million years will I go back". Ha. Talk about eating crow. I've told everyone that I know - "no way, no how". You know the rest of the story. Today, I made the "walk of shame" - back to the old house. Out of my fabulous 3 year old house and back to square one. As I walked our belongings from new house to old house, I couldn't help but call it the walk of shame in my mind - but, thankfully, I was able to giggle a little inside about it. Never say never, huh? God is so in control. I've always heard that if you want to hear God laugh, just tell him YOUR plans. I'm not ashamed of the move, but I am ashamed of saying "never, ever, ever". I am ashamed of always trying to be in control of these crazy situations. But, I press on - we are doing the right thing - we are headed in the right direction, I do believe - and it's all gonna be all right! Even if I have to make the walk of shame about 50 more times before all of our stuff is moved!!!

P.S. - after Jimmy read this he said (and I quote) - "ain't no shame in my game" and "I'm gonna do the walk of shame all the way to the bank" Ha ha ha!!! I love my funny guy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment